Thursday, July 28, 2005

Conflict of Interest

Anyone notice anything fishy about how glowingly positive the JWeek's story on the new Blue Fringe album "70 Faces" is? In this article you'll find the band being compared not only to Dave Matthews Band but Coldplay, too, both of which are COMPLETELY out of their league and demonstrates how pathetic and incredibly sycophantic the author really is.

(If anything, here's a band that is worthy of those accolades especially when considering that the lead singer is a big fan of both of the aforementioned groups and is a very talented musician himself.)

Anyone else think it's more than just a coincidence that they got this great PR piece because the lead singer's father is the editor of the publication? Just a hunch but I could be wrong.

One last thing, from the end of the story:
A few feet away, Hoffman faces his amplifier, his back to the band. He is focused — in his dedication he looks more like a Talmudic scholar than a rock guitarist.
Avi Hoffman was valedictorian of his class in high school and had an amazing mind for lumdus before going off to Israel for a year of learning (I think he went to O.J.). I hope he is still on path to become that Talmudic scholar.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pssstt...it's Avi Hoffman

1:19 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

J-Noted and corrected.
I mixed up Avi's first name with Dov Rosenblatt.
Thanks...that's two mistakes in as many days, I hope you'll forgive me.

1:28 AM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Blue Fringe is a genuinely popular group - I don't think the review is that hyperbole. But I do think that in the interests of full disclosure, the fact that he is Gary Rosenblatt's son should have been noted.

8:28 AM  
Blogger and so it shall be... said...

Right-o M4.

Full disclosure is definitely in order....but in all fairness, these guys are genuinely monster musicians. Blue Fringe is really all that.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

SW: Welcome to TSS! While they might be "all that" they're definitely not Coldplay or DMB, I'm sorry.

8:55 PM  
Blogger and so it shall be... said...

they don't have to be. They're Blue Fringe. My point is not to hype the band, and they don't need my help.

It's just that I think they're a great band and I don't like that the idiotic hyperbole of a brownnosing writer has made it seem like they need to propped up through artificial, and possibly unethical means.

BTW, thanks for having me.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home